30 May 2013

Wednesday Works (Thursday edition) - Creepy Crawlies with 1st grade


Just two more Wednesday Works for this school year, today we feature the Creepy Crawly Critters from 1st grade.
 I use Crayola Model Magic with these guys for fast clean-up and ease in keeping parts together until they get the hang of slipping and scoring techniques. 


First step - "define" creepy crawly as something with 6 or more legs, then draw a few ideas on a piece of sketch paper.  



I cut 2-3" pieces of a hank of Twisteez wire for legs or antennas and various clay tools to give them texture.



At the next class we paint.   Here we've tried our tempera paint cakes, which the kids all liked this year but I've used watercolor paints in the past and that works just as well.


Between the forming day and the painting day I add names to the bottom with a Sharpie marker.





I'm planning on writing up a school year recap post so we can see how much we've done this year, and I can review what went well, what was just "ok", and what may have been a flop, lesson wise.   Then I'll post sporadically in the summer with some basic classroom organization and management tips as I find the time. 

Is there anything you'd like me to focus on? 
Something you're having trouble with and would like suggestions?


Send a email or comment on the blog!

Thanks for following along for this 2012-2013 school year.   I've already put some ideas down on paper for next school year so stay tuned!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...